P90X Reset and a Missed Half Marathon

Where to begin. First off let’s do a reset on our P90X pro­gram. Since I wasn’t able to get back into the swing of things I decid­ed to do a reset and start over at week 1 again. Giv­en my lev­el of fit­ness and that I didn’t even com­plete the pre­vi­ous week 1 workout’s I don’t see any prob­lem with this. As a mat­ter of fact it’s prob­a­bly not that bad of an idea since I’ll be more famil­iar with the work­outs and the tech­niques. So, today we get a reset and start over Week 1 day 1.

The prob­lem with P90X for me is not that the work­outs are too hard. I take them at my own pace and with my own weights. I’m not dumb enough to even attempt to keep up with Tony and his crew. The prob­lem is the time com­mit­ment. Hav­ing a full time engi­neer­ing job, being a pro­fes­sion­al pho­tog­ra­ph­er and hav­ing 4 very active kids takes up every bit of time, spare and oth­er­wise, that I have. It comes down to adjust­ing our time dur­ing the week to pro­vide for the P90X com­mit­ment. It’s not impos­si­ble, it can be done but it’s no sim­ple task.

Mov­ing on to the half marathon. A while back we start­ed train­ing for the inau­gur­al Dal­las Rock n Roll Half Marathon. Of course the afore­men­tioned time con­straints affect­ed that train­ing as well. That and the fact that I just sim­ply HATE run­ning in my cur­rent state (it’s the “need to lose weight first” dou­ble edged sword thing). So, I quit train­ing and didn’t think much about it until the time for the 1/2 marathon came around. Last week when it start­ed com­ing up in con­ver­sa­tion I was under the impres­sion that  it wasn’t worth doing it just so I can say that I walked a 1/2 marathon. I’m the type that unless I’m  going to give it my 100% I just don’t want to do it because it’s less than what I know I’m capa­ble of. Any­way, M talked me into it and as the week went on I start­ed look­ing for­ward to it. I was get­ting excit­ed about it. We had din­ner with fam­i­ly on Fri­day evening, some of which were going to be doing the race with us and that just made me more excit­ed about it. Sat­ur­day fol­low­ing a pho­to shoot we made time to head down­town to the con­ven­tion cen­ter and pick up our race pack­et and wan­der through the Fit­ness Expo that they had going on. It was a blast. It was some­thing else to get me excit­ed about the race. I was ready to go, I want­ed to go, no mat­ter what my time was I knew that  I could fin­ish it even if I end­ed up walk­ing the entire way. I just want­ed to go and have fun and enjoy the race like we used to do in the pre-kid races and events all the time days. But, it just was not to be.

Late Sat­ur­day night our 3 year old woke up cough­ing, cry­ing and vom­it­ing. Uh oh. M went to check on him and he felt warm so she took his temp and it was 102.9. Hmm, guess that means that we’re not going to the race. We can’t get him out if he’s got a temp that high. She came back to bed and said, “Well, you can go ahead and turn off the alarm.” That meant that sick kid­do = no race for us. How­ev­er, since the folks that we were going to the race with were friends and her fam­i­ly I said, “You get some sleep, you go to the race and I’ll stay with A.” No big deal, if he’s sick he’s sick and I have no prob­lem stop­ping the world until he gets bet­ter. I’ve done it before and will glad­ly do it again any­time it’s need­ed. He takes pri­or­i­ty over any­thing that want or need to do. That’s part of the job. No big deal.

How­ev­er, it was to be a big deal. See, M got up and went to the race. I couldn’t go back to sleep. One, because I was already up and about between mak­ing sure she knew that Hwy 75 was going to be closed and telling her bye and mak­ing sure that A was ok. She left and I made cof­fee and did  some work for a bit pro­pos­al that was due this week. What made it a big deal is that when A woke up he was per­fect­ly fine. No fever. No feel­ing bad. No cough­ing. He RAN into the office to greet me good morn­ing and was back to his usu­al self. This irri­tat­ed me a lit­tle bit. Not at him, not at her, just the whole sit­u­a­tion irri­tat­ed me. How could I be pissed off. I wasn’t even con­cerned about going to this thing a week ago. As the morn­ing went on I began to get pic­tures, Face­book and Twit­ter updates from friends who were there rac­ing or there help­ing or there watch­ing. This put me in a very foul mood. With each update that came in I got more and more irri­tat­ed. Look­ing back it was real­ly sil­ly that I let it get to me but it also made me real­ize how much we missed these events. I was appar­ent­ly look­ing for­ward to it more than I real­ized. Knock that one up to a learn­ing expe­ri­ence .

When things aren’t going your way and you decide to quit train­ing, just remem­ber that in the end you will end up want­i­ng it more if you don’t do it. No mat­ter the rea­son.

You also have to accept the fact that life throws lit­tle obsta­cles at you. These lit­tle obsta­cles come from the things that are impor­tant to you. Your pri­or­i­ties. It’s ok to be mad but be care­ful who you direct your anger at. Don’t make the peo­ple in your life suf­fer because you are sad or mad or angry that life took place. Deal with it. Real­ize that there’s always anoth­er race, there’s always anoth­er event, there’s always anoth­er. You can catch the next one. IT’S NO BIG DEAL!

Some­thing else, this whole thing reen­forced that M has a heart of gold. She ran the 1/2 marathon and did it well con­sid­er­ing it’s been many years since we have done any type of rac­ing at all. She fin­ished strong. She also put up with my seem­ing­ly end­less bitch­ing and moan­ing, piss­ing and rant­i­ng, and over all cranky­ness. At the end of the day we laughed about it and had a great din­ner as a fam­i­ly. Even though I dragged her up stairs at din­ner and then gro­cery shop­ping before the evening was over.

She deserves one more medal than she got for run­ning the Dal­las RnR Half. She deserves a medal for putting up with me.